Tuesday, February 25, 2014

IV/49 Anatolian Turkoman

15mm Essex Miniatures DBA 2.2

This Army consists of 14 elements:

1 x (General) 3Cv,  6 x 2Lh, 2 x Ax, 1 x 7Hd, 2 x 2Ps or 3Bw

Historical Enemies: Armenian, Cypriot, Mameluke Egyptian, IIkhanid, Palaiologan Byzantines, Ottoman, Order of St.John, Catalan Company, Italian Condotta (free Companies) Jalayirid, Black/White Sheep Turkoman, Trapezuntine Byzantines and the Georgians.

Historical Notes: From what I read the Turks, or Turkic peoples, are descendants of large groups of nomads who roamed in the Altai Mountains (also know as Altaic peoples) in northern Mongolia and on the steppes of Central Asia. The Turkic language is, to my understanding, of the Ural-Altaic clans. Physically the Turkic peoples resemble the Mongols, although those of the West have been so mixed with native peoples that they cannot be distinguished from other Mediterranean ethnic groups. 

The original Central Asian Turkic nomads established their first great empire in the 500's AD, a nomadic confederation that they called Gokturk meaning "Blue or Sky Turk". 

The Uighur remained in northern Mongolia and the Kirgiz wandered in the steppes to the north. The Oguz Turks, called the Turkmen (Turkoman) in Europe, dominated the area between Mongolia and Transoxiania, where contacts with Muslim missionaries, merchants and warriors led to further assimilation. 

Under the leadership of the Seljuk warrior family, the Oguz tribes entered Iran and then other parts of the Middle East. They went as raiders and mercenaries in service of the weakening Abbasid caliphs and also were hired by many towns to provide defenses against the anarchical conditions of the time. 

The Oguz Turks, under the leadership of Tugrul Bey and Cagri Bey, (the grandsons of Seljuk), subdued Horasan and defeated the Ghaznavids in the Dandanakan Battle and established the Great Seljuk Empire in 1040 AD. In 1071 Alparslan defeated the Byzantine emperor in the Battle of Manzikert which marked the beginning of the period of Turks and that of Islam in Anatolia. It was following this date that the Turks fully conquered the whole of Anatolia and established the Anatolian Seljuk State as part of the Great Seljuk Empire...........

to the figures...
Finally the third part/army of the "trilogy" between the Byzantines, Georgians and Anatolia Turks are done! These three armies are great and ideal to play battles and campaigns using DBA 2.2 or 3.0 rules set or any other rules for that matter. I even used, as a solo testing game, Commands and colors board game system, without hexes, and works fine, well for me anyway :o) I really had fun painting up these guys and I'm toying of the idea of putting together yet another Anatolian army using perhaps 15mm Old Glory Miniatures?














14 comments:

  1. Beautiful, love your work on the colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil... I appreciate your kind words

      cheers

      Delete
  2. Very, very impressive army. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely painting, once again Phil! You squeeze a great deal of detail onto these small fellows. I especially love the braiding on the cavalry and trim on the foot.

    I look at these fellows and think, poor Byzantium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty I appreciate your kind words regarding to my painting style :o) after completing painting the armies I always go back and add the extra details to the figures, usually I do it after looking at photos of my work.

      Yes, I concur with you my poor Trapezuntine Byzantines :o) will have a tough fight on their hands against the Anatolian Turks and Georgians!

      cheers,

      Delete
  4. More beautifully painted very tiny miniatures Phil, and all nicely based too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I enjoy painting the little buggers :o) and I still think you did a fantastic job with your 28mm Swiss Pike men. All the best to you Sir!

      cheers,

      Delete
  5. Lovely DBA army! C&C ancients is a great game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, yes indeed I agree with you C&C ancients is a great and fun game system to play with wooden blocks or more to the point with miniatures which they look awesome! :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  6. Another great effort Phil, I'm interested to know how you deal with your camps?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve, thanks for your kind words.

    yeah, I do have the :o) unpainted miniatures/camps for most of the DBA Armies I painted. I have been very busy painting armies that I lost track of "mind" :o) but one weekend I will paint them up! ....on the other hand Steve, do we really need camps for DBA game play?

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well done. The master painter of the wee men. They really look great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...