Saturday, May 28, 2016

III/40b Vikings


850 AD - 1280 AD (commission work)

DBA 2.2

15mm Essex Miniatures

Army Composition: 1 x (Gen) 4Bd, 10 x 4Bd, 1 x 3Bd or 1 x 3Wb or 1 x 3Bw or 1 x 2Ps





Sorry guys no Kirk Douglas/Tony Curtis character figures from the movie The Vikings :oP ..anyway,,, to my understanding after a small amount of reading/research about the Vikings, it seems they didn’t recognize fellow Vikings. In fact, they probably didn’t even call themselves Vikings: The term simply referred to all Scandinavians who took part in overseas expeditions.

During the Viking Age, the land that now makes up Denmark, Norway and Sweden was a patchwork of chieftain-led tribes that often fought against each other when they weren’t busy wreaking havoc on foreign shores....anyway... :o) Vikings love to snow ski as a relaxing, recreational sport to recover from exhaustion and fatigue after their raiding binges! :o) I would love 28mm manufacturers designing Vikings on skis! :o))




Many Vikings got rich off human trafficking. They would capture and enslave women and young men while pillaging Anglo-Saxon, Celtic and Slavic settlements. These “thralls,” as they were known, were then sold in giant slave markets across Europe and the Middle East....Viking raids began on Britain during late 650's? AD and ended, I believe, after the Norman Conquest 1066 AD

To the figures and shield wall!....







































Berserkers  (3Wb)




Archers (3Bw)






Slingers (2Ps)



39 comments:

  1. Awesome Phil, really lovely figures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous figs as usual my friend!! I think you´ll enjoy this: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-20697117 Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! for the link much appreciated and interesting reading and video clips... cheers!

      Delete
  3. Great work Phil. We just finished watching episode two of "Vikings" last night, which really put me in the mood for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) Thanks Lawrence, great timing on my part I guess!....

      cheers,

      Delete
  4. Splendid shieldwork, Phil! So much detail on such small figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, pity I cannot really paint details on my 28mm figures!....

      cheers,

      Delete
  5. Tghe Danish blood in my veins runs hot with pride at seeing these magnificent warriors. Great job, Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, I wasn't surprised of your Danish ancestry, I can see your "Danish blood" with your Danish/Norwegians Napoleonic miniatures... :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, glad you like them..
      all the best,
      cheers

      Delete
  7. Excellent job Phil, they look splendid...and determined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil!... yes indeed these Vikings are looking for a brawl! :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  8. Beautiful work on the Vikings Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking scandihooligans! All nicely tied together with your trademark neat painting style.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) "scandihooligans" :o) I like that description of the Vikings Iain - I needed a giggle :o)

      Thanks again!
      cheers,

      Delete
  10. Who doesn't like Vikings! They look great Phil!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I agree, I think we all have a soft spot to have Vikings within our collection of miniatures or books...

      all the best,
      cheers

      Delete
  11. Thanks Aaron!

    all the best,
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing work as always, Phil. These look great en masse, and the shield patterns are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean for your kind commentary and support! :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  13. These are some smashing 15mm fellows. The detail you've gotten in on such a small scale is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and visit Dai, much appreciated!...I have to say I like your ACW painted units they look Great!..

      all the best,
      cheers

      Delete
    2. After seeing the quality of your work Phil, I'll be coming back to see future updates for sure. Cheers!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Dai, you are very kind! glad you like this blog and my brush work.....

      cheers,

      Delete
  14. Another excellent army. Great Shields. I do like these Essex Vikings - I did a Viking army a couple of years back using Essex and liked the end result. Have you seen the Viking boat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan! I agree with you, once painted the Essex Miniatures - the Viking Army look great. I think I over did it painting the shield patterns though. Yes indeed, I had a look at Essex Viking Style Boat and I wanted to buy two packs (models) but I didn't have the funds to make the purchases :o(

      All the best,
      Cheers

      Delete
  15. Amazing work again, Phil. I thought one of the guys resembled Ernest Borgnine/Ragnar - right before he jumped into the wolf pit :) I'm always impressed at the details you pack into 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean!
      :o) I should paint up one figure of (Actor Frank Thring) King Ælla of Northumbria in the Viking movie, who also fell in the wolf pit! :o)

      cheers,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...