Tuesday, March 18, 2014

IV/31 Nikaian Byzantine


This 15mm DBA 2.2 Army consists of 12 elements: All Miniatures by Essex

1 x 3Cv General, 1 x 3Cv, 2 x 3Kn, 4 x 2Lh, 1 x 4Sp, 1 x 4Bw, 2 x 2Ps

Historical Enemies: Seljuq Turk, Romanian Frank, Epirot Byzantines - Latin Empire.


Brief Historical NotesNikaian Empire was founded 1204 - 1261 by the Laskaris or Lascaris family, who were Greek Byzantine nobles...for more information visit the Laskaris web site.

Historically the Nikaian Byzantines were a crack fighting cavalry force and often defeated their opponents i.e. the Seljuq Turks at Antioch in 1211, the Latin Empire at Poimanenon in 1224 and the Achaean Franks at Pelagonia in 1259.

My Nikaian or Nicaea are another typical 13th Century Byzantine Army with lots of cavalry and a handful of foot elements. 
The player really needs to focus and protect his/her flanks with Light Horse (Lh) units while trying to hold his/her center with a hand full of infantry units supported with (Cv) Cavalry and (Kn) Knights. This is a good and playable army which will test the player tactical skills against his/her opponents during table top conflict's against the Turks and other Successor Byzantine States i.e. The Latins, Romanian Frank's and Epirot Byzantine Armies.

To the figures I wasn't to sure about the historical shield designs for the Spearmen I was just plain lazy on my part and painted simple "campaign shield design" another words, one plain sandy/dusty flat color.  ;o) Also..um.. I think in the future I will not take anymore close up photos of my painting, one can see the brush strokes which is a little embarrassing :o)



Army Arrayed


General 3Cv and 3Cv (Stratiotai/Lancers)


2 x 3Kn (Latinikon Knights)



Left of Photo 2 x 2Lh (Tourkopouloi)

2 x 2Lh (Cumans)

Kontaratoi 4Sp with 4Bw and 2Ps
 2 x 2Ps Anatolia Archers Left of Photo



26 comments:

  1. That's a fine looking army. The background and map is very helpful in bringing the army to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, yeah.. adding brief notes about my painted armies thought it may help a little for the viewer to appreciate the historical background and perhaps encourage further research? :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  2. They look great! I fail to see what is "embarrassing" about seeing the brush strokes on figures that are, well... painted! :-)

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter thanks for your kind words, well I may have been a little harsh on myself regarding to my painted miniatures close up photo shoots....

      cheers,

      Delete
  3. Great work on these 15mm figures as usual Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris I appreciate your kind words, all the best to you Sir!

      cheers,

      Delete
  4. Lovely Byzantines Phil! All the elements look great but the Cuman horse archers are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, you liked the Cumans? well my next army to publish here will be the DBA III/79 Cuman (Kipchak) Army :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  5. great
    painting, historical artcile and map
    and no cheating, i'm byzantine and the design are correct
    (well i'm french, so not a great cheating...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marco I appreciate your comments and thoughts....

      Vive la France! ;o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  6. Another great post and another splendid army...love the knghts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw.. thank you Phil for your kind words.. soon I will post the DBA IV/61 Italian Condotta this army has lots of Knights and I hope you like them..

      cheers,

      Delete
  7. A lovely painted army - how many DBA army's is that now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan, :o) so far painted 14 Armies and another 5 armies painted but not yet published here on my blog...

      cheers,

      Delete
  8. Another gem, Phil! They look just like the crack fighting force I'd always imagined. As always, your shieldwork is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty, I think you will like my Islamic Persian's coming up soon, I painted up a lot of shields patterns for the Persians during the painting session the :o) 15mm blighters actually worn me out a bit, and may explain why I was a bit lazy to paint the Nikaian Spearmen shields with just one flat color......anyway, not to worry :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
    2. Five more to post up including Persians? I can't wait! You put a ton of work into your armies, and they shine as a result. Painting 15mm does wear a fellow out. I'm rushing Spartans to the tabletop and I'm going to have to take a break here soon!

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you're taking time off painting miniatures, you have painted a ton of work/figures during last 12 months, its time take a break or else you will burn yourself out! I think the best way to relax and get away from painting, which I have done on couple occasions, is to play table war games for at least a month until you feel fresh and ready to start painting again.

      cheers,

      Delete
  9. Nothing to be ashamed of on those paint jobs! You have a unique style that is top notch! Thanks for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anony Mous :o) for your kind words and support! :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  10. A beautiful looking army, The freehand shields are impressive. Top job!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I appreciate your kind words...

      cheerss

      Delete
  11. Another great looking DBA army, Phil. Can't believe I missed this post earlier. I really like the curved shields of the Sp. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking army; I really like the research that's gone into it. I'm trying not to go as late as this period, though the Almughavars of the Catalan Grand Company have always tempted me - it was the Nikaians' successors who fought them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I have the Catalan Company on the work bench to do during the year and this force will be a perfect head to head match against the Nikaian Successors. The Almughavars (Ax) are great units to paint and have in the Catalan Company. One of my favorite tactics is to do the "unexpected" i.e. Any army consisting majority of Ax elements I would "rush/charge" my opponent head on or set up ambushes providing the terrain is in my favor.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...