Tuesday, April 16, 2019

I/24a Hittite Empire


15mm Essex Miniatures

DBA 2.2 Army (13 elements)

1 x LCh(Gen) 3 x LCh, 6 x 3Sp, 1 x 2Ps, 1 x 7Hd or 1 x 2Ps
(one LCh should be painted as Syrians and the other LCh as Anatolian)

It seems, with some or little evidence that the Hittite Light and Heavy Chariots were 3 man crews (one driver and two javelinmen, the General should have one archer and Javelin man with him) and the difference between light and heavy chariots were the number of horses, light chariots had 2 horse teams where as heavy chariots had 4 horse teams to generate greater speed on the battlefield.

I had a difficult time placing the 3 man Hittite crews in their chariots. After about 30 mins and about 10  trial and error attempts, I finally decided to attach/glue all three crew figures together first, then cut/trim the lead base attach to the feet of crew figures, then shove/push the crew set in their chariot :o)

This is a cumbersome army to command and control, the 4 chariots, deployed/acting as one battle group, would take up 16 cm frontage space on the playing area during a DBA game. The typical deployment of this army would be,by most wargamers, infantry hold the center and the chariots split as two flank guards supporting the infantry spearmen or as one mass chariot (4 x chariots) flanking command force to attack/charge opponents own flank. 

DBA chariots ratings (combat modifiers etc)
Light Chariots are treated as Cavalry (3Cv) and Heavy Chariots as Knights (3Kn)


Hittite Chariot (1380 - 1275 BC)

I'm currently working on I/24b (1274 - 1180 BC) Hittite Empire army and there is only one minor change, infantry elements are the same as I/24a (1380 - 1275 BC) The difference being two light chariots are exchanged for two Heavy chariots(3Kn) and the General's light chariot is also exchanged with a Heavy chariot (3Kn) ...anyway...lovely army to paint and interesting to command/control playing against the Egyptians.

















LCh (light Chariots)







General LCh (light Chariot)

3Sp (Spearmen)


Anatolian Spearmen (3Sp)


Slingers - Skirmishers (2Ps)



Horde (7Hd)



apologies for some blurry photos


42 comments:

  1. Phil! Your Hittite army is superb! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jon! love your 28mm biblical units(work) a lot!
    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a Hittite Army in 28mm waiting in the wings. One day, I will get around to it.

      Delete
    2. Great! looking forward reading your Hittite Project "work in progress" posts

      cheers...

      Delete
    3. Still have a lot of Assyrians and Egyptians to knock out first.

      Delete
    4. umm hmm :o) well you just spoiled my fun, I was thinking of starting up a 28mm biblical army and travel to your area for a weekend gaming... seems you have all three major powers! :o) on your work bench... :op

      Delete
    5. Phil, you and ANY army are always welcome! My Egyptians are only to augment a friends Egyptian army when we want to do large battles.

      Delete
    6. Oh I see, ok Jon fair enough, who knows we may meet and enjoy a fun brawling encounter across the table top with your miniatures.

      cheers,

      Delete
  3. Brilliant, love your Hittite army, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice hittite army. Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific looking Hittite army!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, how are doing Iain! Thanks, appreciate your comment!
      cheers,

      Delete
  6. Nice Hittites, Essex have some excellent Bronze Age ranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I agree 15mm and 25mm Essex miniatures have an excellent range of Bronze/biblical figures..
      all the best

      Delete
  7. Good to see you painting and posting, and a fine army it is. I must recall these troops for inspiration, as I just acquired a substantial Hittite army that will need some refurbishment and basing prior to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Good to read/hear from you again Peter hope all is well with you sir! I was looking at 28mm Warlord Games Hittites a little pricey....is this what you have or 25mm Old Glory miniatures?

      Delete
    2. To be honest, I am not entirely sure. They will be featured in an upcoming post, likely late May when I unbox and organize the troops. A gamer from California who I had come to know well from playing in my games at Historicon for the past 5 years (good guy), unfortunately passed away suddenly, and his collection is being sold off with the funds to go to a church choir that he was active in. As the Hittites would complement my existing Chariot armies, they made sense... so now I have 400+_ of them! It meant something important to me (and the mutual freind who was selling them) that I knew and liked the owner, and that every time I used them I would think of him. Qadesh my be on my schedule for a Historicon to come!

      Delete
    3. So sorry to read about the loss of your friend, well he was thinking of you too, to enjoy and have fun wargaming - my condolences. Wow you have over 400 biblical miniatures to organize and paint? sounds like one huge project to work on during this year?

      all the best,

      Delete
    4. The figures are already painted, but I anticipate they may need some touch up and/or detailing/customization. And of course basing... Next Litko sale, here I come!

      Delete
    5. good one Peter, looking forward to see your biblical units based!

      cheers,

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Sir! :o)
      your website and miniatures work awesome, very appealing to the eye!... cheers

      Delete
  9. Phil, a very beautiful army! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry, your 28mm Napoleonic Saxons look great too, a lot of work - well done sir!

      Delete
  10. These look terrific. You really are back in the swing of things Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yep getting back to the rhythm painting miniatures again after almost 2 year absence - your 15mm Xyston Gauls(Celts) are stunning, a lot of work by you well done Sir!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher! I enjoy visiting your blog.

      cheers,

      Delete
  12. That looks terrific, nice clean work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I enjoyed painting the figures even though I almost felt it will take 'forever" :o) for me to complete this painted army....

      cheers

      Delete
  13. Wonderfully painted figures, Phil! BTW, is that first image of a flat? Looks great - would love to get some flats to try and paint up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dean, yes it is a flat, purchased a few blank unpainted flats a couple of years ago from Berliner Zinnfiguren -Germany.

      here is the link https://www.zinnfigur.com/en/Flat-Figures/Blank-Figures/Military-History/

      cheers,

      Delete
  14. Lovely Hitties Phil, you have loads of DBA armies! your blog is a first port of call for reference on 15mm Ancient & Medieval armies, superb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter appreciate your kind words - I have :o) so many DBA armies its not funny :o) well maybe I'm crazy?.. anyway..I need to stop! :o) and perhaps start a new series, Basic Impetvs Armies! :o)

      cheers,

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. :o) no worries Peter!
      I spell Argyraspids - "Asparagus" :o)
      cheers,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...